We already have the technology for autonomous cars, cars that can drive themselves with no needed changes to roads or other cars. By 2020, this technology will be cheap enough to be built into most new cars.
- When will society and laws be accepting of autonomous driving? Will we ever be able to get rid of the drivers seat?
- What will cars look like when there is no driving seat?
- Will there be a major elimination of jobs of taxi and truck drivers? Is this a bad thing?
- Will we still need parking right near our destination? Will driveways disappear?
- Once most cars are autonomous will they be networked for better coordination? Will we see the elimination of now unneeded street lights and signs? Will there be privacy concerns?
- These cars will stop or serve around obstacles. How do we stop pedestrians from just walking out in front of cars knowing they will stop?
- Will people mostly own cars or just rent one that happens to be close by?
- Suburbia exists because of the automobile. Will an autonomous car change the nature of suburban life?
- Most importantly, what is the big societal change that will occur that we can't imagine right now.