Bad Game Theory:
When two sides are negotiating you can have interesting
sceanrios like Prisoners Dilemma.
OR you can have stupid scenarios like on 24:
- The bad guys threaten to do XXX unless the USA does YYY. Here is the problem with this sceanrio: Even if we do YYY we have NO GUARANTEE that they won't still do XXX. The bad guys don't need some sort of credibility for later deals. This happened alot and the USA often got doublecrossed in some fashion.
- The Good Guys tell some bad guy they have captured: If you tell us the plot we will give you immunity. Why should the bad guy believe that we will let them go? This is not a public court of law.
Bad portrayal of technology:
- It takes Chloe less time to break into the NSA's secure computers then it takes me to log on to NSF's FASTLANE.
- Jack had crucial evidence that he wanted to get out to the public! It never dawns on him to upload to the web. Why not? Because then the show would be called 16 instead of 24.
- In the show the USA has had two nuclear devices detonated on its soil during the show. That does not seem to have had any real bad consequences.
- Can someone really be awake 24 hours and still function pretty well? To be fair, there was a season where Jack was clinically dead for 20 minutes. Does that count as a nap?
- A Right Wing Propaganda show as it shows America has real nasty enemies and must use torture (which always works on this show).
- (This has been much less commented on). A Left wing show as we often see that the people funding the terrorists are often oil companies or even our own Government (only when its under a Republican Prez). Of the presidents we have seen on the show the best one was a Democract (David Palmer) and the worst one was a Republican (Charles Logan).
- I watched it on treadmill, and it was the best treadmill show EVER!
- The funniest show on television! Examples: (1) In one room of the White House some people are trying to convince the President to pardon Jack for his torturing of bad guys in the past. In a different room Jack is torturing a senator's aid. (2) An innocent person is arrested without cause. There is much debate about the ethics of this. All of that debate goes out the window when we find out the innocent is not so innocent and in fact is the main bad guy. Hilarious! They make you think they will be making a serious point and then undermine it.