Nature laid out their ground rules for large language models like ChatGPT including
No LLM tool will be accepted as a credited author on a research paper. That is because any attribution of authorship carries with it accountability for the work, and AI tools cannot take such responsibility.
Let's focus on the last word "responsibility". What does that mean for an author? It means we can hold an author, or set of authors, responsible for any issues in the paper such as
- The proofs, calculations, code, formulas, measurements, statistics, and other details of the research.
- Any interpretation or conclusions made in the article
- Properly citing related work, especially work that calls into question the novelty of this research
- The article does not contain text identical or very similar to previous work.
- Anything else described in the article.