That article is now linked to on Wikipedia and (much to my surprise) has come to be the AUTHORITY on what people were thinking then.
TEN years have passed! It is time to take the pulse of the community again. Hence I will ONCE AGAIN (!) be conducting a poll to appear in a SIGACT News Complexity Column.
SO- I would like you to email email@example.com (in LaTeX or plaintext) the answers to the questions below. (Comments to the blog will not be counted as answering the poll.) I would like to get this poll written this summer, so I will give a deadline of October 31, 2011. (I may extend this if I do not have enough responses.)
- Do you think P=NP or not? You may give other answers as well.
- When do you think it will be resolved?
- What kinds of techniques do you think will be used?
- Will the problem still be relevant given advances in algorithms and in SAT Solvers?
- Feel free to comment on anything else: Graph Isomorphism, Factoring, Derandomization, Quantum computers, and/or your own favorite problem.
- Do I have your permission to print your response? I will do this for some people--- how many depends on how many answer the poll.
- What is your highest degree in and where is it from? This information will be used for statistics only.