How would I like to see the iCal standard work in our community?
- Academic Departments can put their seminar calendar in the iCal format. No longer would I have to subscribe to email list to see events and then have to enter the events that I care about into my calendar manually.
- Any email that announces an event or meeting should have an attachment I can click that adds it to my calendar.
- Conferences could create calendars listing the important dates (submission, notification, proceedings version, registration) as well as the dates of the conference, perhaps even having the schedule of talks in iCal format with links to the papers. (I don't think iCal supports links but hopefully some later version will).
- One might also want a theory iCal calendar listing all conferences but this would likely have too much information to be useful.
- I have wasted much time trying to schedule meetings. Ideally I'd like a system that searches everyone's calendars and finds a common free time.
- As with many standards there are some great applications not initially anticipated but will develop over times.