- Top part: Degree, Bottom part: Index.
- Top part: Bino, Bottom part: Mial
- Top part: Numerator, Bottom part: Denominator
- Top part: Outcomes, Bottom part: Possibilities
- Top part: Binomerator, Bottom part: I've got nothing
- Top part: *, Bottom part: *
- Top part: Biponendo, Bottom part: Bividendo
- Top part: Choosand, Bottom part: choosee
- Top part: Set size, Bottom part: Subset size.
While choices 4,8,9 are tempting along those lines, the winner is
Why? One of the people who suggested it gave a pointer. The pointer actually went to calling the top and bottom part of the Legendre symbol Numerator and Denominator. And thats just it- there are several
other math things that have a top and bottom part. We could try to find a name for each one, OR
just use Numerator and Denominator for all of them. That seems to work. SO- next time you write a paper and need to refer to the top part of a bin coeff or a leg symbol or something else, use the terms
Numerator and Denominator.
CODA: `The Denominator' could be an Arnold Schwarzenegger character. A Math teacher by day, a crimefighter by night. Catchphrase: I'm going to put you under!