- You've been working hard on a research problem and someone else solves it. Does that make you feel happy or sad?
- Three people in an office. Two of them bounce ideas back and forth to prove a new theorem while the third just tries to keep up. Should the third person be a co-author?
- You are reviewing a paper and see an easy but major improvement to the paper's main result. What do you do?
- Your friend is applying to your university and you see that one of his recommenders wrote a weak letter. Do you tell your friend?
- Your advisor of the opposite sex has two tickets to a concert you really want to see and invites you to join him/her. Would you go?
- You discover a student wrote something strongly negative about a colleague on their weblog. What would you do, if anything?
- Would you still be a scientist if you could do research but all your work had to be published anonymously?
Sunday, April 17, 2005
New Balance has been heavily advertising some questions about sports so I'd thought I would give my own discussion questions about academics.