I'm dreaming of a white christmasWhy are there no more white christmas's? Because global warming made it stop snowing!
Just like the ones I used to know
Why do otherwise intelligent people refuse to believe that Global Warming is real and is caused by humans and we we need to do something about it? I have a conjecture and an analog. Here is what I think the reasoning is
- Republicans have the following AXIOM (until they are in office): government IS the problem, not the solution. More than this, they think that there is NO problem that requires government action.
- Consequence: Government should do NOTHING about Global Warming.
- Since Government shouldn't do anything about Global Warming, it is not a problem.
Are their things in math where people accept an axiom despite its absurd consequences?Yes:
- Most math people believe the Axiom of Choice.
- Consequence: the Banach-Tarski Paradox
Rather than rethink their AXIOM they accept the absurd conclusion that you can break a ball into 5 pieces, reassemble, and get twice the volume. Fortunately, believing this does not endanger the planet.