- Who is the most famous pair of people that died the same day? While its hard to measure fame objectively, there are two candidates that come to mind. (1) If you give a bonus for being in very different fields then the answer could be Orville Wright and Gandhi (Jan 30, 1948). (2) If you have an American bias then perhaps John Adams and Thomas Jefferson (July 4, 1826). Possible Bonus for July 4 being the day. (James Monroe also died on July 4, though in 1831. What is the probability that three of the US presidens died the same day? Prob=1 since they did.)
If you are famous and want people to notice
your death there here are some tips:
- DO NOT die the same day as a someone more famous. Example: Farrah Fawcett overshadowed by Michael Jackson.
- DO NOT die close to the day someone more famous dies. Examples: (1) Ed McMahon died the day before Michael Jackson. (2) Mother Theresa died a few days after Princess Di (It is likely that Mother Theresa wanted to not have a big deal made of her death, so perhaps this was a win for her.)
- DO NOT die the last week of the year. James Brown and Gerald Ford both died the last week in 2006. By that time all the lists of famous people who died in 2006 were already made. So James Brown and Gerald Ford never made those lists.
- Who were the most famous pair of people that were born the same day? While its hard to measure fame objectively a good candidate pair is Abe Lincoln and Charles Darwin (Feb 12, 1809). Others of interest (from this website): George W. Bush and Sylvester Stallone (July 6, 1946), (One is a pretend war hero, the other starred in the ROCKY movies.) Sigmund Freud and Robert Peary (May 6, 1856), Winston Churchill and Lucy Maud Montgomery (Nov 30, 1874), (I didn't know who Montgomery was. Either fame is fleeting or I am not up on my writers of books for young girls-- she wrote Anne of Green Gables.) Ariel Sharon and Fats Domino (Feb 26, 1928).
Computational Complexity and other fun stuff in math and computer science from Lance Fortnow and Bill Gasarch
Monday, July 06, 2009
Pairs of Celebrities died/born the same day
Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died the same day (June 25, 2009).
One further example of 2.1:ReplyDelete
Sergei Prokofiev's death was completely overshadowed by that of Stalin on the same day.
Jefferson and Adams also get bonus points for dying on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. Kind of hard to top that.ReplyDelete
What about Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra and William Shakespeare who died on April 23, 1616.ReplyDelete
I'm guessing they are the most famous pair.
My advice is much simpler: if you are famous and even if you are not, do NOT die as long as possible.ReplyDelete
You cannot compare Prokofiev to Stalin! Clearly, trampling one another down at Stalin's funeral is more fun than that strange music by Prokofiev. A purely democratic choice, you know...ReplyDelete
Note that while Cervantes and Shakespeare are both recorded as dying on 23 April 1616 by their respective calendars, they actually died ten days apart:ReplyDelete
You can find people who will argue that Cervantes and Shakespeare were the same person...
Jim Henson and Sammy Davis, Jr. both died on May 16, 1990. I remember the controversy when Henson was put on the front page of some newspapers and Sammy wasn't.ReplyDelete
As I'm not an American, I think Stalin+Prokofiev is a good pair. We can add they both died on 5/3/53 (March 5th, 1953), which is a very good mnemonic!ReplyDelete
Aldous Huxley and C. S. Lewis both died on 22 November 1963. And of course both were overshadowed by the death on that day of JFK.ReplyDelete
Billy Holiday, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Music_DiedReplyDelete
It was BUDDY HOLLY who died in the plane crash. Not Billy Holiday.Delete
BUDDY HOLLY was the third celebrity singer on the plane. BUDDY HOLLY was the headliner on this tour.Delete
WAYLON JENNINGS a well known country music singer was supposed to be on the plane that night, but instead, RICHIE VALENS took his place
directors Bergman and AntonioniReplyDelete
"Billy Holiday, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper"ReplyDelete
(A) Billy Holiday???????????????? Buddy Holly. BUDDY HOLLY. Billie Holiday did not die until later that year.
(b) Let us not forget the pilot.
I agree. Do not forget the pilot and all that died that tragic day.Delete
Mother Teresa died the day after Princess Diana, not a few days after. Princess Diana died on August 31, Mother Tereda on Sept. 1. I do agree with you as far as Mother Teresa most likely wouldn't want any big deal made about her death. It wasn't her way. What you said about George W. Bush being a pretend war hero was wrong and rude as he WAS a war hero. Give credit where credit is due, like him or not.ReplyDelete
Agreed!! Why bring politics into an issue that should be apolitical?Delete
I thought Mother Theresa died on Sept 5thDelete
George W. Bush was NOT a war hero. It has nothing to do with politics to say that he wasn't... he never saw combat in his life.Delete
His father, George H.W. Bush, was a war hero during World War II.. perhaps that's who you meant?
When citing Ritchie Valens, The Big Bopper, and whoever the 3rd one was...can't remember..but anyway, that should not count. It's obvious that if 3 famous people are on a plane and die in a plane crash that they are going to die on the same day. Dying the same day like Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson is the type that should count.ReplyDelete
Why not? They were all three killed. They just happened to be on the same plane. It was a big loss to the music industry. Three high profile celebrities die on the same day.Delete
The 3rd one was Buddy Holly on the day the music diedDelete
Thapedi Klaas MothapoReplyDelete
Mothapo Thapedi Klaas, was a twin brother to Dikeledi Hendrika Mothapo. Was born in 22Septmeber1973 and died on the 22September 2009. After celebrated his birthdayReplyDelete
Mothapo Thapedi Klaas was a twin brother to Hendrika Mothapo. Born on the 36th anniversary of his birthday after celebrated it with his colleagues. Married to Angelinah Mothapo at the age of 25 and by then the two was blessed with four children.ReplyDelete
May his soul rest in peace
(Since this being posted SO muchReplyDelete
later it will likely never be seen,
but MEME- if you see it, please email
me directly and post reply)
George H.W. Bush, WAS a war Hero.
I was referring to George W. Bush,
president from 2000-2008.
He was not a War Hero- he did not go to War.
He was in the Texas Air National Guard
but never saw combat.
So how can you call him a War Hero?
This is not a rheotorical question-- if he is a war hero in some sense and I missed it I would be curious to know
If you are mistaken (perhaps you were thinking of his father) I would also be curious to know.
I rarely look at old comments so if you somehow see this and want to respond, please post AND email me
To MEME- you claim that George W Bush was a war hero. He was in the Texas National Guard and never saw combat. So in what sense was he a war hero.ReplyDelete
(Are you thinking of his father who
fought in WW II?)
Please both post and email me your response
since I am curious if I missed something and W really was a war hero in some sense.
George W. Bush never said he was a war hero, so why accuse him of pretending to be?Delete
(Since this is being posted 9 years after the original I suspect nobody will ever see it. But if they do, Good)Delete
YES - good point, W never claimed to be a war hero so should not be accused of preenting to be one.
And now Margaret Thatcher and Annette FunicelloReplyDelete
Born on the same day:ReplyDelete
Roger Ebert and Paul McCartney.
Andy Griffith and Marilyn Monroe.
Mike Ditka and Lee Harvey Oswald.
Hillary Clinton and Pat Sajak.
Julie Christie and Pete Rose.
Federico Fellini and DeForest Kelley.
Margaret Thatcher and Lenny Bruce.
Marlon Brando and Doris Day.
John Major and Eric Idle.
Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr.
Mario Lemieux and Patrick Roy.
Condoleezza Rice and Yanni.
Rocky Graziano and J.D. Salinger.
Kim Basinger and Sam Kinison.
Princess Di and Carl Lewis.
Vanessa Redgrave and Boris Spassky.
Oscar Hammerstein and Buckminster Fuller.
Hubert Humphrey and Vincent Price.
Lana Turner and Classy Freddie Blassie.
Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross, who played the parents on "Family Ties."
Danny DeVito, Lorne Michaels and Tom Seaver.
Sylvester Stallone and George W. BushReplyDelete
Tommy Lee Jones and Oliver Stone
Nick Offerman, Sean Hayes, Paul Thomas Anderson and Chris O'Donnell
What about Muhammad Ali and Cassius ClayReplyDelete