- Richard Cleve - I first got interested in quantum computing when Cleve had a short visit to CWI in Amsterdam during my sabbatical there in 1997. But our true bond comes from being stranded together in Tokyo after 9/11.
- John Watrous - The reason I drink my coffee black.
- Peter Høyer - Cleve and I were the foreign committee members at Høyer's Ph.D. defense in Denmark.
- Hartmut Klauck - Klauck had a postdoc at IAS while I was at NEC nearby.
- Hein Röhrig - A new postdoc in Calgary fresh from his defense in Amsterdam. Röhrig also was a summer intern at NEC.
Monday, March 08, 2004
Seeing the Same People in Different Places
This week I'm visiting the University of Calgary and although I have never been here before it seems like a homecoming. They have a strong quantum computing group with several people out of my past.