The panel discussion should be quite interesting especially since Karp and Wigderson have had in the past well-publicized differing views on the topic. Read them here and here before you attend the panel.
There will be a super special Theory Day at Columbia on Friday, May 14, 2004. Theory Day, sponsored by Columbia, NYU and IBM Research, is a semi-annual conference which brings together New York Metropolitan area theorists for a day of interaction and discussion.
Why have a special one?
Because we have several reasons to celebrate:
- Columbia University celebrates its 250th anniversary.
- The Computer Science Department celebrates its 25th anniversary.
- The Computer Science Theory group at Columbia celebrates its terrific theory faculty. The most recent addition is Mihalis Yannakakis.
Shafi Goldwasser (MIT/Weizmann)
Richard Karp (UC Berkeley)
Prabhakar Raghavan (Verity/Stanford)
Peter Shor (MIT)
Avi Wigderson (IAS)
Mihalis will chair a panel discussion on the future of CS theory.
To make this Theory Day really special we are planning
- to provide lunch to the participants
- to provide a commemorative T-shirt.
We hope you'll join us in celebrating theory in the midst of the local celebrations at Columbia.